- The usual plus an 8 inch baking dish
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 Tbsp (or to taste) Maple Reserve of your choice
- 1/2 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- flaky salt
How to mix
- Combine heavy cream, butter, Maple Reserve, and salt in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Once mixture boils , immediately remove from heat and set aside. Sip Maple Reserve.
- Combine maple syrup and sugar in a large heavy sauce pan over medium-high heat and heat to 280 degrees F. Stir just at the beginning with a heatproof spatula; stop stirring once the sugar begins to melt. When the sugar mixture reaches 280 degrees, carefully pour heavy cream mixture into it. Continue to cook mixture until it reaches 250 degrees F.
- Pour the caramel into an 8 inch baking dish lined with parchment paper and let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes; top with flaky salt. Place uncovered pan in the refrigerator and cool for 2 hours to set. Lift parchment to remove caramel from pan and place on a cutting board. Spray a sharp knife with with nonstick spray and trim any ragged edges. Cut into 30 caramels and eat the ragged edges yourself.